Thursday, June 6, 2013

Words

I love it when I hear a noun I've never heard before:
kerning, which came to me from Brendan in casual conversation.

Then there are words I've heard before used in delightful, awkward or horrifying ways (or all three).
A colleague forwarded me a blurb on a new study examining the validity of an instrument for identifying patients on opioids with evidence of misuse. The study authors labeled the patients with misuse "miscreants," perhaps because "ne'er-do-wells," "scalawags," or "filthy liars" didn't quite fit. Before you lose all faith in the peer review process, this study was presented as an abstract at a meeting and has not been published.

3 comments:

  1. Uh.... is this your way of telling us that you misuse opioids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even tried them ... probably should at some point. did you get any with the Achilles incident?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that, considering you've been called worse than miscreant, scalawag, and ne'er do well....

    I forget what I got for that (and my recent appendectomy), but I remember they primarily just put me to sleep. thirty plus years of teetotalling made me a lightweight I think.

    ReplyDelete